Being stung by a bee for the first time can be very traumatic for a child. Many children become very overwhelmed and freak out over the incident because it happens so quickly and randomly. The guide below walks you through a few things you can do to handle your little one being stung by a bee for the first time.
Calm Your Child Down
The first thing you need to do is try to calm your child down some. He or she needs to sit down and allow you to see the area where they were stung. This may be difficult to do because there is a good chance they are so freaked out by the incident that they think you touching the area will make it hurt worse. Take your time to explain to them that you are going to make them feel better, not hurt them.
Remove the Stinger
Once your child calms down enough to allow you to look at the area, use a flashlight to look closely to see if you see a stinger sticking out of your child's skin. The stinger will need to be removed carefully with a pair of tweezers if it is still in there.
Soothe the Pain
Turn on the water in your faucet and let it run until it gets as hot as it possibly can. Place a metal spoon under the water to heat it up and then place the back of the spoon gently on the area where your child was stung. The warmth will help to soothe the pain that he or she is feeling.
Apply Wet Tobacco to the Area
Pull tobacco out of a cigarette, cigar, or even use chewing tobacco and wet it. Place the wet tobacco directly on the area and leave it there for a minute or two. It will pull the venom from your child's skin and help to take away some of the pain and reduce any swelling that your child may experience.
Monitor the sting closely. You want to be sure that it does not continue to swell, become extremely red, or has a rash coming from it that starts to spread to other parts of your child's body. If you notice any of these issues, take your child to the hospital right away to have him or her tested for allergies to bee stings. If your child has never been stung before, there is a good chance you do not know that they are allergic until they are stung. Tests can be run and your child can be properly treated, if you go to the hospital as soon as you notice something is wrong.
Visit a site like http://www.oakbrookallergists.com for more help.Share